It is with pleasure that the League recognises that Chief Comr. Nigel Edwards (Ret’d) LM, DSA was included in the Australia Day 2022 Honours List as recipient of the Medal of the Order of Australia.
Chief Comr. Edwards has had a long and distinguished career with the Australian Air League. Some of the highlights include:
- Joined as a junior Officer with Glenhuntly Company (Squadron) in February 1943;
- Commanded this Company from May 1946;
- Became a senior member of Victoria Group staff in 1952, progressing through to Group Field Commissioner from early 1959;
- Became Federal Field Commissioner in 1961;
- Was awarded Life Membership in 1970 and was also awarded the Distinguished Service Award; and
- Held the appointment of Chief Commissioner from 1974 until 1977.
Chief Comr. Edwards has recently celebrated his 96th birthday and is living in Capel Sound (previously Rosebud West); he still takes a great interest in the activities of the Victoria Group and the Air League in general.
The Council of the League extends its hearty congratulations to Chief Comr. Edwards on his well- merited honour.
Congratulations Nigel – job well done for not only the League but also the other organisations you have benefited over the years.
Details can be found in Federal Routine Order F/RI/01/22 available for download here.